Thursday, November 8, 2012

Music Meme: Favorite Song About Drugs

I have a lot of drug-themed songs in my library. I even have a whole mix CD devoted to this topic, which my mom and I made after my stepmom gave me a very strange and rather belated "Don't Do Drugs" talk. One of my go to songs, which was actually included on that CD thanks to my mom is John Prine's Illegal Smile.


I've also long been a fan of Warren Zevon's Carmelita, probably even before I realized it was about heroin



Then I went to college and was introduced to Afroman's Because I Got High, which got played an awful lot. Listening to it still transports me back to the dorms at school.


1 comment:

  1. A most obvious, and amazing choice for this song is Smoke Two Joints. While originally by The Toyes, a raggae band from the 70s/80s, I (and everyone else) am more familiar with the Sublime version. It's a song I grew up listening to and while it has no subtlety, I still didn't realize how fully ridiculous the song was until I was much older and...experienced.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIEvHCyb4Ms

    I also love Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix, when I was in high school I firmly believed that I should have lived in the 60s, and that song is an anthem to the 60s. What a time.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p307WSTFRE

    ReplyDelete